Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Strengths?

My senior year in high school I was part of a Junior Achievement group for my economics class. We worked with a local businessman in putting together a project for our class to raise money. It was supposed to be a lesson in small business. I don't remember much about the project, or how much money we raised. I don't even remember the name of the businessman, or what his specific position was, but I do remember one thing he said: "A person's greatest strength is also their greatest weakness."

I have seen that proverb play out many times in my life.

When faced with the downfall of Christian leaders, those unknown to me and those known intimately, I have pondered that statement. The same charismatic personalities that draw people to themselves, like a bright light attracting moths, seem destined to be burned by their own brightness.

The desire to make people happy and appease them, at it's best leads to a connected, effective leader; at its worst it cripples the leader and puts him/her at the mercy of the congregation's whims. Those motivated to do something great for God can move massive amounts of people to action, but often lose their way amidst the riches and adoration poured out upon them. Those who have a sympathetic heart and an ability to feel the pain of others, can succumb to relationships that are outside of healthy boundaries.

I suffer from the same paradox of strength. Being a good judge of a character has rescued me from many possible catastrophes, along with God's grace, but is a depressing ability to have as I realize that most people, myself included, are sorely lacking.

My prayer is that God would remove the cynicism, that is so rightly earned, and replace it with faith that He can overcome our weaknesses and our strengths.

What's the strength that you posess that is also a vulnerable spot?

No comments: