Pages

Friday, April 20, 2007

Alec Baldwin and Verbal Abuse

I can't post about this without wanting to vomit.

As I was getting the kids ready for school, I absently turned on the Today show and was instantly stopped in my tracks by an angry, ranting voice, shouting obscenities and threats. It was Alec Baldwin, screaming in a phone message to his daughter. She's only 11 or 12.

He called her a rude, little pig....no brains, no human decency...and on and on and on. He cursed at her frequently and threatened her.

Even though I am supposed to have the mind of Christ, it was difficult to remove the image of taking a baseball bat to Alec Baldwin's head. The disgust I have for the verbal abuse of a child is overwhelming. Scarring young people with hateful diatribes is like murdering their souls. Demeaning them; intimidating them; using your rage to crush them, are all marks of an egotistic, unstable, vengeful mind.

I was instantly brought back to a place in my childhood. The words and disdain spewed out by my mother's boyfriend were like battery acid, damaging anyone that was in the spray zone. Being awakened in the middle of the night to that same insane, type of yelling that only the truly angry, irrational mind seems capable of maintaining, was a regular event in my home.

I remembered things my mother had said to me when she was raging, usually about something else, but I quickly became the most available target.

God blessed me with an ability to withstand such idiocy and recognize that the words used against me were baseless, but sometimes they still stung. It wasn't the attacks, but the knowledge that someone who supposedly loved you could turn on you so viciously.

I dealt with all those demons many, many years ago. They have no power over me. I am a 33-year-old woman who is whole and healthy, mainly because of my relationship with God. He brought me out of that and assured me of my value to Him.

I hope that this girl never has to hear such sewage spewed at her again. And, I hope that someone will take this seriously and keep Mr. Baldwin and his phone messages far, far away from her.

Anger Management anyone?

No comments: