Pages

Saturday, May 03, 2008

So, What Are You Saying?

Intuitive Monkey loves color. He loves design, as much as a 6-year-old can, anyway. He spontaneously comments on my clothing choice, especially if I am dressed up or have done my hair differently. He'll say he likes my skirt, or that I look pretty today.

He also has definite ideas about his own hair and clothing. He has refused to wear certain things just because he doesn't approve of them. Right now, I am trying to explain that he's not old enough to have a mohawk yet--maybe when he's in 6th grade. It's cute to have a mini fashion maven in the house....yet brutal too.

The other day JC Penny sent me a Mother's Day ad along with a $10.00 gift card. Monkey looked it over intensely, debating what he might get me for Mother's Day. He pointed out the purple, satin shirt and said,"Oh...I like that shirt. It's pretty. I think it would look good on you. That dress is pretty, too."

"Yeah?"

"Uh-huh...you should get it."

"OK....I'll keep that in mind."

With a furrowed brow," Well...I don't know....it might not be for you."

"Why not?"

"I think it might just be for skin-girls."

"Skin-girls? What do you mean?"

"Well, all these girls are skinny. I don't think that shirt would fit you."

"......oh?"

"Yeah.....see how small they are? You're wider than that."

Me, unsure whether to laugh or cry...."uh-huh...you know, they make more than one size."

"Oh....that's good. Then maybe you could wear it after all."

I don't know if I should be irritated that my son already has been influenced by print ads, or depressed that I have been placed into the "wide" category in his mind.

Hey, when is that treadmill that I'm getting going to show up, anyway?

Here's a look at the skin-girls.



heh.

No comments: