Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Birthdays, Bowling, and Beaches

Yesterday, we celebrated The Rationalist's 8th birthday. Although I was worried that we might have a repeat of last year's version, a few friends showed up at the last minute, making me sweat out more anxiety than is necessary for a birthday celebration.

We bowled, laughed, and ate too much cake. The Rationalist had a great time and so did everybody else. He managed to clean up with numerous gift cards and cash, helping push him a little closer to his goal of buying a Wii....or a Nintendo DS...depending on what he feels like in a particular moment. Being lame parents, we gave him actual gifts rather than cash; a metal detector, a pogo stick, and a Bingo Set.

We have managed to find a bottle cap, 20 nails, an industrial size bolt that was seven inches long, and a metal bracket.

We also have numerous holes in our front yard now.

Here are some pics from the day:









This morning we attended the United Methodist church we have been regularly visiting for the last month or two. We went to the early service and skipped Sunday School in order to go to the beach. I'm not sure how I'll be feeling this summer once I start chemo, and I won't be healed enough in June to be in the ocean. I figured today was our best shot to go. Plus, I wanted to do something fun as a family before I would be laid up for the next week or so.

We had a blast. The Gulf has warmed up to about 82 degrees, perfect swimming temperature. The day was windy, making some great waves for tossing us around. The boys love to head out where the waves break, hold onto an inner tube, and propel forward with the foamy water.
After about an hour, they took a break to create a giant hole filled with sea-water...their own little swimming pool, I suppose.

It's been a great weekend, and I'm glad we spent it enjoying each other.

No comments: