Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2007

How Do I Know That?

So, sometimes I forget how incredibly stuffed with useless information and trivia smart and well-read I am. I mean, could you expect any less from a liberal arts education with a major in English and French?(most of which I have forgotten....comprenez-vous?)

When I listed the title of my last post--Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here--I couldn't quite place where that famous quote came from. There were too many options.

Shakespeare...No.

Moliere....No.

Cervantes......No.

Pirates of the Carribean?....hey...it has the word Ye in it. Sounds like pirate talk to me.

I went to the Google altar and put forth my query.

Ah yes, Dante's, Divine Comedy,--it was the plaque above the entrance to hell. Very appropriate.

Anyway, I came across the site www.phrases.org.uk in my quest to place the phrase I knew.

Neat site; useful for many things.

Like the origins of coin a phrase.....curiosity killed the cat.....flash in the pan..and lots of other obscure references that you should know when you are preparing for Jeopardy, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, or a life of know-it-allness the likes of which has never before been seen.

No comments: