Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Aria"--Book Review

I love epistolary novels. Reading through letters, articles, diary entries--albeit fictional ones--lets me easily be drawn into the story. Perhaps they feed my intense desire to read other people's thoughts like some sort of mental peeping tom. Either way, it makes me want to read more.

This month's random library pick brought Aria, by Nassim Assefi, into my home and mind. Jasmine Azizam travels the world desperately trying to find release from the devastating grief caused by the death of her five-year-old daughter, her only child and the daughter of her deceased fiance. Jasmine's travels and letters slowly weave together her past and present in a rich, meaningful way. Assefi crafts each character with skill, giving each a unique voice that helps the story unfold. Every character is ultimately tied to little Aria and the void left behind by the loss of her life.

I loved it.

From a Christian perspective, I could have done without the subtle abortion push, but it was only one small part of a well-written and beautiful book.

No comments: