Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ruining My Own Surprise

Just before my diagnosis, DH and I were thinking about buying a treadmill. We researched eleventy-jazillion of them, checking out all the different brands, specs and consumer ratings. I had decided which one I wanted, and was about to go forward with the purchase, when everything started happening with me and the breast cancer question.

We put off the decision until we knew what would be happening. Spending $1,000 on a decent treadmill didn't seem wise in the face of future medical bills. I was disappointed.

Now, faced with a mastectomy and chemo, I feel even more convicted about losing weight and getting in better shape. Chemo actually causes most people to put on weight, partly from being less active...what with all the throwing up and resting from fatigue...and partly because of the effects it has on the body. I don't need to add extra weight on top of what I already have, and I need to be as physically healthy as possible when all this starts.

So....the other night I say,"Honey, I know we decided not to to do the treadmill thing, but I think I might go ahead and get one anyway. I think it's important."

DH got very quiet,"You can't."

"Why not?"

"Because that's what I was going to do for Mother's Day!" he said smiling. "I had already decided it."

After a moment of shock, I gave him a big hug.

I knew there was some reason I kept that guy around here.

P.S...because I totally ruined my surprise, I get to have my treadmill sooner. No sense waiting an extra month.

No comments: