Pages

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Releasing Irritation

Today was my second performance for the non-profit for which I work. Everything was OK except for the fact that my partner showed up half an hour late, making me wonder what exactly I was going to do if she were a no-show.

Have I mentioned that I am extremely prompt? If I am late for something, it's because there has been some sort of bodily injury to myself or one of the kids. Even then, I'd probably limp with my broken leg to where I needed to be, or throw the bleeding child in the back of the car and hope for the best. ugh.

Regardless, she showed up just in the nick of time, leaving me with only a few minutes to have to stall while she finished setting up the equipment she had with her. It wasn't too bad, though I did have to restrain myself from possibly strangling her. This was the second time she's done this. If she weren't great at what she does, and otherwise a very nice person, I would have a harder time letting go of my irritation. In the end it wasn't a big deal.

Breathe in.....breathe out.

Next on the averted irritation list.

My mother-in-law has a friend who was getting rid of her computer. It was newer, had Windows XP on it, and was generally a huge improvement over our ten-year-old computer. Her friend didn't want any money for it, but simply wanted to get rid of it. MIL was kind enough to retrieve it, bring it here, and help DH set it up. They're both computer nerds.

The irritation part came when MIL decided to remind me several times about sending a Thank-You note for the computer. She never actually told me, outright, to do it. She isn't direct. Instead, she said something like,"Oh, here's L-'s address in case you want to send her a card."-hint, hint. um, yeah

Have I also mentioned that I am a very direct person? It drives me crazy when people don't just come out and ask me for something, and instead beat around the bush in what they think are subtle ways, but really aren't. Just ask me or tell me. Don't try to sugar-coat things with me. It makes me feel manipulated.

Anyway, the very next day MIL instant-messages my husband this nice lady's address along with the suggestion that I send her a piece of my hand-crafted jewelry. Hey, that's a great idea, but why not just suggest it to me herself instead of going through DH? And, why is it my responsibility anyway? Shouldn't DH be responsible for this seeing how it's his mother and her friend?

Today I sent L- some flowers. I just couldn't resist the urge to not do exactly what I was told. Jewelry would have been nice, but I have no idea what type of jewelry this woman likes. Plus, it wasn't my idea, so I felt like it would be disingenuous.

MIL I love you, really. I appreciate all you have done, and all you do. You are a great MIL and grandmother to my kids.

I just can't help but kick against the goads when I am told exactly what it is I should do in a given situation. I like to be in charge of my own life.

In the end it was no big deal.

Lord, help me to be easy-going!

No comments: