Pages

Friday, January 05, 2007

My Thoughtful Husband

When hubby went to the library this past week, he picked up a science fiction book for me just to be kind and thoughtful. He knows I like to read science fiction and saw this book on the shelf where they feature new books that have just been acquired. How sweet of him to think of me!

Later on that night, after the kids were in bed, I figured I would start reading a few pages. I opened the book, read the first two paragraphs and made sure to let my husband know how much I appreciated this great, literary treasure. It reads:


"Dick Moelller didn't know if could fart his way into a major diplomatic incident. But he was ready to find out.

Moeller nodded absentmindedly at his assistant, who placed the schedule of today's negotiations in front of him, and shifted again in his chair. The tissue surrounding the apparatus itched, but there's no getting around the fact that a ten centimeter tube of metal and electronics positioned inside your colon, a mere inch or two inside your rectum, is going to cause discomfort." -The Android's Dream-by John Scalzi


Gee, thanks for the good read Hubby!


It seems this tube is some sort of alien communication device that uses gas emissions to communicate with another alien species. I gleaned that useful piece of information from the next two paragraphs in the book. I could not make this up if I tried.


So now, dare I plunge further into the depths of this book? (no pun intended) Or, should I assume that any book that opens this way could be as stinky as its first premise?


I'll keep you posted.

No comments: