Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Update on Harry Potter

I've read the first 3 books already and let The Rationalist start in on the series.

He read the first book in one 24-hour period. He seems to enjoy them so far, having started the second one right after he finished the first.

I have moderately enjoyed the books, though they haven't been a complete surprise to me because I have seen snippets of the first three movies.

If I had one criticism it would center on the lack of character development of Harry Potter. I feel as if Hermione, Ron, and even Draco are more rounded out than Harry. He seems to always be reacting to things and he doesn't seem to possess much of an inner life outside of the context of his parent's death and Voldemort.

For a character who is supposed to be "the hero", he seems to lack substance.

5 comments:

James Pate said...

Man. A 24-hour period. And those are long books!

James Pate said...

The Rationalist should do Book-it, where you have to read a bunch of books and you can get prizes. I had to do it in elementary school, but I didn't like to read back then---or, rather, I hadn't found things that I liked to read, at least not until I discovered Judy Blume.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Those intense fiction readers, once they get started they go live there. You will have great joy at the general knowledge such a reader just absorbs without realising it, plus the knowledge that reading level will rapidly soar.

If there is a downside, it is that they learn to read what is "easiest," not in the reading level sense - they'll plow through anything - but in the "only what I like" sense. We would periodically put Ben on reading diets of only being allowed non-fiction for a week or so.

terri said...

James...I was a huge Judy Blume fan as a child. Apparently she writes books for "grown-ups" now. Not sure if those would interest me as much.

James Pate said...

I mostly read Judy Blume's books for girls---such as Are You There God, It's Me Margaret. I wish I had known about her books on teen boys growing up. But I read the Fudge ones when I was in elementary school, and those helped me. My favorite one was the Sally J. Freedman one. At first sight, I thought I wouldn't read all of it, for I had a hard time reading things in the 200-page range. But I couldn't put the book down!