Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Weird Nostalgia

The Dead Puppies video that my husband sent me yesterday reminded me of the Dr. Demento radio program, where I first heard that song.  My older brother and I used to listen to Dr. Demento on the weekends.  The bizarre, dark, demented humor was just funny enough to be appealing without going too over the top.

Wandering through Youtube reminded me of this bizarre song and video, which I recall MTV playing quite frequently.

the music starts around 2:20









The eighties fostered out and out weirdness...Devo, for example:










And then there was Weird Al:


Weird All still makes parodies.  This parody of Lady Gaga's Born This Way is slightly disturbing, mainly because of the effect of Al's computer-generated head on a female body is creepy. The proportions are all off.



It's not hard to parody Lady Gaga.  I looked up the original video for Born This Way and the sci-fi narrative intro is so dumb and pretentious that it made me laugh more than Weird Al's version.

I guess the weirdness of the eighties isn't any stranger than Gaga.

No comments: