Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Association

I received the following e-mail today from someone we used to attend church with for many years.
"Hi guys!

I recently sent out an email, but I think I may have done it in such a way that your spam filter may have blocked it... I thought that I should resend it, just in case.


As some of you now know, I am now a NRA certified instructor. On Saturday, May 29th, I will be hold a pistol class for anyone interested in handgun safety or in getting their Florida Concealed Weapon Permit.
If you are interested in taking the class, send me an email or give me a call. If you know anyone who may be interested in taking the class, please pass my contact information along and encourage them to contact me.

P---"
Ok...I get that some people like guns, want guns, feel strongly about having them, and are pro-gun.

What gets me is that at the end of this e-mail was the following quote, with links to all the pertinent parts of the constitution, which is not a bad thing....
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
The icing on this cake of strangeness is not the guns, the constitution, or the self-promotion of this person's new interest, for which he will earn a fee for giving lessons....it's this quote which comes right after all the gun-talk:
"Glory be to HIM whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine; glory be to HIM from generation to generation."(bold and emphasis are original to the e-mail)
It was unclear to me if this was part of his e-mail signature or a purposeful correlation between owning guns and invoking God to help him use them effectively!

1 comment:

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Yeah, I tend to be pro-gun for practical reasons, and find them legitimate from a Christian context. But I find self-defense allowed by Christianity, not derived from it.

Of course, I was brought up in a non-gun, non-hunting family, so maybe this is a cultural response on my part. But I think it's a cultural response on the emailers part as well, a GodAmericaHuntingTraditional melange.