Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

The Rationalist and Intuitive Monkey insisted we get up early and buy Dunkin' Donuts for DH. They know him well. Food truly is the path to his heart, and yet he remains thin....men and their metabolisms.

The day before, we wandered aimlessly through Target, trying to decide on an appropriate gift. Monkey wanted to get him a box of Just For Men, to hide his gray hair. Not wanting to give him a gift that screams,--"Hey...you're really old now!"--I nixed that idea. Monkey also wanted to buy him a fabric, camouflage belt with large, metallic studs. I told him I didn't think DH would be able to wear it at his workplace, disappointing him and his vision of dressing a hip, edgy father. Meanwhile, The Rationalist repetitively stated,"I don't know...I don't know...I have no idea," when asked for gift ideas.

We finally settled on a Starbucks gift card. Monkey was not amused at his ideas being shot down and was only consoled when he was given the privilege of picking the Father's Day card. He immediately pounced upon the musical card section, listening to each one 'til he found what he was looking for.

It played Stand By Me and cost $6.00.

$6.00....just for a card.

What could I say?

I had already rejected his other ideas.

$6.00 it would be.

At 7:00 am, the boys leaped upon their father, ready to stuff him with donuts and coffee, and present their $6.00 card filled with Starbucks goodness.

He was happy with everything, but he missed out on a great belt.

No comments: